Thursday 3 December 2009

3rd of December

I have been looking on, this evening, at a merry company of children assembled round that pretty German toy, a Christmas Tree. The tree was planted in the middle of a great round table, and towered high above their heads. It was brilliantly lighted by a multitude of little tapers; and everywhere sparkled and glittered with bright objects. From "The Christmas Tree" by Charles Dickens.

I believe many teachers look for things to do with their students the last lessons before the holidays. At the moment I and most of my colleagues have just too much to do trying to correct as many student papers as possible before Christmas, and we all want something to bring to the classroom that can engage the students without us spending too much time preparing the most brilliant lesson plans. Being a fan of literature, I have therefore searched the internet for literary text about Christmas. The text that I present today is "The Christmas Tree" by Charles Dickens. I believe it is "a must" for all students to read something by Dickens at school, and hopefully this short text can give them an all right introduction to one of the most well known British authors of all time.


Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment