Friday 2 October 2009

Thoughts on a sunny autumn afternoon.

I know that there has not been much activity on my blog the last weeks, but I simply have not had the time to write anything lately. Last week our school had 21 students and 2 teachers from Delft in Holland visiting, and that kept me busy 24-7. Though it was busy, the week was a success, (at least that is my impression...). We started off by taking all the students to the mountains for two days, and then had some days for sight seeing in Oslo and workshop in school. I believe this is a good way for young people to get to learn each other better, and I also believe some of them learned a few things about themselves during the week. As for the teachers, I hope the exchange gave them a glimpse of what life is like at Sandvika upper secondary.

This week we have had our autumn break, and I have just enjoyed a week off from school. On Monday it is "back to business", however, and I really need to start thinking about the weeks ahead. Usually the period between the autumn break and X-mas is filled with activities, tests and projects, and this year is no exception. One of the things I am really looking forward to, though, is the huge ICT conference at our school next week. It is always inspiring to attend events like this and to get some ideas for my own teaching.

I have just listened to a debate on the radio where people from all over the country have phoned in and discussed teachers in Norwegian schools. It still amazes me that they never invite any teachers to these debates. While Tom, Dick and Harry are free to express their frustration and spell out what a lousy job we do teaching their children, the voice of the teachers is absent. I am not one of those who believe that things cannot and should not be better in our schools, but I find it quite hard believing that everything can be blamed on the teachers. I will not let this debate ruin my lazy autumn afternoon, however. Time to go out in the sun and just enjoy my day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment