Saturday 20 June 2009

Summer time - and the living is easy...

The first day of the summer holiday! All papers are assessed, all the students have got their results (luckily my students did quite well in their exams), we have wished each other a pleasant summer, and I am so ready to relax! Eight weeks of lazy summer days lay ahead of me, and I just love it! During the last weeks of the school year I always make a lot of plans about things I should do during the summer in order to make next year's teaching better and less stressful. My ambitions are high this summer, too, but I have learned to be realistic as I have grown older. However, summer has always been the time of the year when I get some reading done. I usually bring a huge bunch of books to our cabin, and since I neither have access to internet nor television there, I actually manage to get through quite many. I have picked five book for a start this summer:

  • J.M.Coetzee, Boyhood and Disgrace. I have never read anything by Coetzee, so I thought I should give these a try.


  • Jeffrey Eugenides, The Virgin Suicides. The third year students at my school read this novel this year, and it might be a pick for next year too.


  • Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar. This novel I read at the university ages ago. I remember that I really loved it, but I cannot quite remember why...

  • Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway. Another novel from my years at the University. The first time I read this novel I told myself time and time again that I just could not make any sense out of it. In the exam, however, everything in this novel made sense, and I promised myself that I would definitely read it again one day.

I guess this will make me busy for quite some time; at least it is a good start. If anyone in the world of blogging has suggestions for English novels to use in class, please let me know. I really appreciate tips about novels that work!

No comments:

Post a Comment